Ina Garten, aka my kitchen hero, charmingly states “What could be bad?” as she incorporates decadent and simple ingredients into her divine creations. This morning with each heavily bite of my oats in a jar, I started to channel Ina and kept thinking “What could be bad?” Answer: absolutely nothing. Putting warm oatmeal in an almost empty nut butter jar is such a simple pleasure. I started making mental notes about how amazing this breakfast is:
1. I get satisfaction knowing that I successfully ate ever molecule in my expensive nut butter jar.
2. One less dish that I have to do, saving time and WATER! GO GREEN!
3. It is amazing when you get to the bottom only to discover a chunk of almond butter coating your spoon.
4. Melted almond butter is delicious.
5. Let’s face it, eating out of a jar is fun.
6. If I really wanted to I could put the lid on and have an easy portable breakfast.
7. I get to open another jar soon!
8. Oatmeal in a jar is one of the most comforting and satisfying breakfasts I can think of, and easy to take back to bed with a cup of coffee!
In to my almond butter jar went: 1/4 cup oat bran, 2 TBS rolled oats, 1/3 cup almond milk, 1/3 cup water, 1/2 thinly sliced banana, 1.5 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp ground flax, cinnamon, and vanilla extract topped with blackberries and raspberry preserves.
I know I’ve said it before, but I really enjoy the combination of rolled oats and oat bran. I like the texture of rolled oats alone but they do not generate a fluffy volume. I get the best of both worlds when I combine rolled oats and oat bran to create a fluffy/chewy bowl of perfection.
I’m off to the bakery for the day, where I will be dreaming up my next creation. I have a little something in mind for dinner this evening so stay tuned!
What are your favorite simple yet satisfying meals?